Attorney with over 25 years of experience representing institutional clients, small businesses and individuals as owners, tenants, landlords, buyers, sellers and lenders of real estate. Practice also includes select residential real estate closings and appointments before Connecticut probate courts.
- Negotiated loan documents, purchase and sale agreements and leases and reviewed borrower’s organizational documents and prepared opinions of counsel in connection with numerous real estate transactions relating to the acquisition, sale, lease and mortgage financing of retail, office, multi-family and hotel properties in transactions ranging from $500,000 to in excess of $100,000,000.
- Experience with the transfer of Connecticut “Transfer Act” properties.
- Selected as the development attorney for a number of active business and individual real estate developers, including the acquisition, financing and leasing of real estate in transactions ranging up to $10,000,000. Particularly experienced in retail ground-up development.
- Appointed by former supervisor and current president of a local real estate company to represent the company and its partners in connection with one of only a small number of retail projects exceeding 200,000 s.f. to be developed in Connecticut in 2012, including the acquisition of the underlying land and the subsequent sale thereof to the retailer at a profit.
- Structured one development as an air rights condominium, which avoided subdivision constraints and permitted a larger, more profitable project, to be constructed.
- Initiated a federal action against litigants appealing final land use approvals for a “big box” retail development, facilitating the successful settlement of the appeal and sale of the project at a profit.
- Appointed by the then General Counsel to be a member of the team that executed the sale of 80+ shopping centers, accomplishing the owner’s business goal to liquidate existing assets and focus on the development of new projects.
- Closed the real estate portion of a multi-billion dollar debt restructuring with a public company, which permitted the company to avoid an immediate bankruptcy filing and announce publicly that it was not in default in its debt obligations.
- Negotiated and closed a large number of real estate mortgage modification / restructuring transactions which permitted the life insurance company lender / client to book the loans as “performing assets” and, thereby, reduce its bad loan reserves and increase its available cash and profitability.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, CT, Juris Doctorate, with honors, 1990
- Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, B.A. Magna Cum Laude, Sociology, 1986
- Admitted to the Bar for the State of Connecticut and the Federal District Court for the State of Connecticut, 1990 – Present
- Member, International Conference of Shopping Centers, 2004 – 2011
- Roster of Neutrals, American Arbitration Association, 2008 – 2016
- Connecticut Probate Court Attorney Panel, 2013 – Present
- Completed State of Connecticut Family Matters Comprehensive Guardian ad Litem/Attorney for Minor Child training program, November 2013
- Youth soccer and baseball coach, 2001 – 2006
- St Baldrick’s shavee, 2010, 2011 and 2014
- Frequent Red Cross blood donor